Follow Us:


Many post-secondary institutions have accommodation conveniently located on or near campus. Dorms generally have a shared kitchen, bathroom, and laundry facilities. Some dorm accommodations offer optional cafeteria meal plans where students, having paid a set price up-front, are issued two or three meal tickets per day.

If students are going to Canada for just a single semester, university/college residence may prove to be the simplest accommodation, as it is often less time consuming and simpler than finding private, off-campus housing. If they will be staying in Canada for a longer period, they may want to rent university accommodation for the first semester or so, then make other living arrangements for future semesters as they become more acquainted with their area.

Regardless, staying in dormitories is the preferred accommodation for the majority of Canadian students in their first and second years of study. Furthermore, many international students find dormitory living allows them to find friends and study partners more easily, saves them the trouble of finding transport to campus, and in general creates a smoother social transition.

Private Accommodation

A current list of private off-campus accommodation for rent near the Canadian educational institution is often available at the housing office or the student union office on campus. Students should note that post-secondary institutions do not normally inspect any of the lodgings listed. Therefore, it is up to the student to decide what type of place they want, to contact the landlord, to inspect the premises, and to determine the suitability.

Students should expect to pay anywhere from $400 to $1500 per month, depending on the city, the particular area in which they choose to live, and whether there are co-tenants. It is typical for the landlord to collect one month’s rent up-front as a damage deposit, which will be returned to the student when they move out, assuming that the place is left in good condition. When renting accommodation, deal directly with the landlord and pay the damage deposit directly to him or her. If possible, pay rent with a cheque, as it is easier to provide proof of payment, and always ask for a receipt.